Teen driving tips to keep prom and graduation safe
High school is full of defining moments for Milwaukee area teens and two of the highlights for most are prom and graduation.
At the Insurance Center of Milwaukee, we want to help make this season one to celebrate for you and your teen. So, with the help of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, here are some tips that can keep your teen safe.
First, encourage your teen to follow these general safe-driving rules:
Absolutely no alcohol or drugs
Always use seat belts
No cell phone use (especially texting) while driving
Special events present special circumstances. There may be dinner with dates before the dance and parties before or after an event. It’s a good idea to discuss your expectations well before each event, establishing guidelines before your teen heads out for the night.
Here are some ideas:
- Know the itinerary of the evening, as well as who else will be with your teen.
- Have a way to contact your teen.
- Set a curfew.
- Discuss with your teen how to handle difficult situations, such as facing pressure to drink or accepting a ride with someone who shouldn’t be driving.
- Offer a “no-questions-asked” ride home should they need one during the evening.
- If you’re worried about your teen driving, consider alternate transportation
Prom and graduation in southeastern Wisconsin are special times in a teen’s life. And just a little common sense will go a long way toward making sure your young adult is around to enjoy the other milestones that are sure to come.