Fall is quickly slipping away, but there’s still time to get ready for winter weather. Extreme cold is always a possibility here in the Milwaukee area, so we at the Insurance Center of Milwaukee have compiled some tips to help you stay safe and limit damage.
Preparing your home
- Perform basic winter maintenance — insulate your attic, caulk and weather-strip doors and windows, and insulate water pipes that run along outer walls. When temperatures drop, keep the cabinets under sinks open to allow warmer air in.
- If you use a fireplace or wood stove, have the chimney or flue inspected each year. Make sure your house has working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and test them monthly.
- Check your emergency supplies and ensure that you have adequate food and water, along with a battery-powered radio, in the event of an extended power outage.
- Never use gas-powered generators or barbecue grills indoors. These can allow deadly carbon monoxide to build up.
Preparing your car
- Have your vehicle serviced according to manufacturer recommendations. Check the antifreeze level.
- Keep the gas tank at least half full, which helps avoid ice in the fuel tank.
- Replace wiper fluid with a wintertime mixture.
- Make sure your tires are in good shape and have the proper air pressure.
- Check to confirm your battery has a good charge, your heater and defroster are working well, and that your emergency lights are functional.
- Always wear temperature-appropriate clothing, such as hats, gloves, scarves, etc. Remove any wet clothing immediately. And keep spare clothing or a blanket in your car trunk throughout winter in case you are stranded.
- Stay hydrated. You might think this is more important when it’s warm outside, but it’s just as vital in winter.
- Be mindful of physical exertion and the amount of time you’re spending outdoors. Shoveling snow is hard work, so don’t overdo it!
Winter is a lot of fun, and we’re looking forward to snowmobiling and skiing as much as you are. So get your house, car, and body ready, so you can have a great season!
At the Insurance Center of Milwaukee, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 414-744-6614 or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!