Staying safe on the road during a hailstorm
It may sound surprising, but there are approximately 3,000 hailstorms in the United States each year. The size of hail can widely vary – from pea size to softball size. When it starts building up size, hail can cause severe damage to your dwelling, vehicle damage, bodily harm, and even death. On average, each year hailstorms cause over $1 billion in damage to property, approximately 1,500 injuries, and 80 deaths. Hail is a main driver of homeowners insurance rates in Wisconsin as well.
One of the most frightening places to be during a hailstorm is on the road in your car. Obviously your vehicle is at great risk of damage, but even more importantly, you are in danger in the event you can’t see well enough to drive or your windows are broken by the power of the storm.
At the Insurance Center of Milwaukee, we want to ensure you, your loved ones, and your vehicles stay safe this hail season. Here are some pointers for navigating a hailstorm while on the roads in in Southeastern Wisconsin.
- Make sure you have a blanket in your car at all times. It can help protect you from glass injuries in the event the hail breaks your windows or windshield.
- Turn on your low-beam headlights, and slow down.
- Make sure you have more distance than usual in front of you so you have ample space to brake if necessary.
- Turn on the local weather radio station to stay apprised of the status of storms.
- If there is enough space on the shoulder of the road, pull over.
- If there is a covered shelter to pull underneath, do so; this will reduce the damage sustained by your vehicle.
At the Insurance Center of Milwaukee, we hope you stay hailstorm-free this season!
At the Insurance Center of Milwaukee, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 414-744-6614 or send us a note at info@InsuranceCenterMilwaukee.com and we will get quotes, from the 12 insurance companies that we have available, tailored for your needs. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!